Virginia Hot Lanes Project (I-495 Capital Beltway)
I-495 South Exit 46B to Chain Bridge Road (Route 123) North will be closed starting Sunday, August 16 for 45 days, weather permitting. The ramp closure is necessary for Capital Beltway HOT Lanes construction crews to build new bridge piers and install new drainage facilities.
- Please advise guests and motorists traveling southbound on the I-495 Capital Beltway seeking access to Route 123 northbound will be detoured to Exit 45B, Dulles Airport Access Road (Route 267) towards I-66 East. Motorists will follow Route 267 to Exit 19B, Route 123 North towards McLean or Exit 19A, towards Tysons
- Motorists traveling eastbound on Route 267 seeking access to Route 123 North via I-495 South will be directed to stay on Route 267 to Exit 19B, Route 123 North towards McLean or Exit 19A, towards Tysons
- Dulles Connector Road/I-66 Interchange: Caissons and piers, which will support foundations for
at-grade and aerial track work, are being built. You will continue to see more of these developments along the Dulles Connector Road median in the coming months
- Dulles Connector Road: During the week of August 10, overnight work will close the eastbound Dulles Connector Road (Route 267) ramp to northbound Route 123. Drivers will be directed to detour by using the ramp to southbound Route 123 and using the traffic signal to access the northbound lanes.
- Route 123: Early preparation of the eastern portion of the 2,400 foot tunnel has begun at Route 123 and International Drive, including construction of a concrete plants. This month, other equipment and facilities essential to the tunnel construction will be put into place. Preliminary foundation work is taking place for the Tysons Central 123 station at Route 123 and Tysons Boulevard.
- Route 7: The ramp from southbound Route 123 to Route 7 will close temporarily overnight August
7-8. Construction crews will permanently remove traffic signals and reconfigure the traffic plan. After August 8, the ramp will only reopen for westbound Route 7 only. Eastbound Route 7 from southbound 123 will remain closed. Please use southbound International drive to access eastbound Route 7. The two-way Frontage Road along the north side of Route 123 between International Drive and Route 7 is subject to nighttime closures to support ongoing utility relocations. Business access remains open during this work. Work has begun on the western portion of the tunnel at the northwest cloverleaf at Route 7 and Route 123 along the Frontage Road.
- Dulles International Airport Access Highway (DIAAH): Construction has started in the median of the DIAAH near the future Wiehle Avenue station
- Ongoing Work: Utility relocations and occasional lane closures will continue along the Route 7 service roads, portions of Route 123, the DIAAH and the DTR. Access to businesses will be maintained throughout this work. Ramp closures are scheduled at night in order to avoid peak traffic.
www.511NorthernVirginia.org (get real time traffic conditions)
Dulles Metrorail Hotline: (877) 585-6789
Virginia Hot Lanes Hotline: (877) 959-5222
Updated as of August 21, 2009